Saturday, September 6, 2014

Tara Sloan: Sports Aficio-NOT-o

My experience in sports is limited. Extremely limited. As a kid I climbed trees, roller skated and completed the obligatory Presidential Physical Fitness Test throughout elementary school. I managed to get a couple 80% certificates along with one 100% certificate. I also had a few years there where I got to be a pretty good runner. I even ran a three mile fun run at the age of 9 in just under 30 minutes. At seven I tried to play baseball but as the only girl on the team (not to mention I wasn't good) got me little play time. I typically spent my time in the outfield watching clouds. As a child, teen and adult I watched a lot of sports but never took a lot of interest because they were generally nothing more than shouting matches among the fans who were watching in my home.

My lack of activity resulted in becoming overweight. By the age of 38 I was close to 300 pounds and in need of a change. At the whim of some friends I started going to cardio kickboxing classes in 2010. I had never exercised much less hit a punching bag but I loved it! In less than a year I lost a hundred pounds, a few months later I had lost another twenty-five. Shortly after I started teaching group fitness classes and coaching others. This has led me to further my education in hopes of opening my own fitness studio one day soon.

A sports blog is a great idea especially when the writer is knowledgeable about the sport they are discussing. I would like to be hired to run a blog for a fitness studio or gym. Featuring members, different programs, results and health topics would be something I would love to contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment